|Position||Associate Research Fellow|
|Phone||+ 61 2 4239 2330|
Dr Hugh Forehead has experience with agent based modelling, spatial data analysis and web mapping. He is responsible for the land use model in the Vision Illawarra simulation, a decision support tool for policy makers and infrastructure planners. Hugh has been instrumental in the development up of a traffic emissions micro-simulation framework, being built and tested with data for south-east Sydney. Hugh was previously a research scientist in Shell’s biofuel from microalgae project and helped to set up and run a 4 Ha pilot facility in Kona, USA. He also has a background in quantitative ecology and theoretical evolution.
Research Areas and Expertise
- Mathematical modelling and simulation
- Agent based modelling
- Web cartography
- PhD, 2006, University of Western Australia, Australia
- BSc (Hons), 2001, University of Tasmania, Australia
- Registered Nurse training, 1990, Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services, Australia
- Associate Diploma (Maritime Electronics), 1984, Australian Maritime College, Australia
- Forehead, H, Thomson, P & Kendrick, GA 2013, ‘Shifts in composition of microbial communities of subtidal sandy sediments maximise retention of nutrients’, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 279-298
- Forehead, HI, Kendrick, GA & Thompson, PA 2012, ‘Effects of shelter and enrichment on the ecology and nutrient cycling of microbial communities of subtidal carbonate sediments’, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 64-76.
- Forehead, HI & O'Kelly, C J 2013, ‘Small doses, big troubles: Modeling growth dynamics of organisms affecting microalgal production cultures in closed photobioreactors’, Bioresource Technology, vol. 129, pp. 329-334.
- Forehead, HI & Thompson, PA 2010, ‘Microbial communities of subtidal shallow sandy sediments change with depth and wave disturbance, but nutrient exchanges remain similar’, Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 414, pp. 11-26.
- Thomas, T, Kindinger, I, Yu, D, Esvaran, M, Blackall, L, Forehead, H, Johnson, C & Manefield, M 2011, ‘An experimental model for the spatial structuring and selection of bacterial communities’, Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 165-168.