Jie (Jack) Yang
|Position||Associate Research Fellow|
|Phone||+61 2 4239 2344|
Dr. Jie (Jack) Yang has extensive experience in machine learning and cloud computing. Prior to joining University of Wollongong as a PhD candidate, Jie completed his Master degree from Huazhong University of Science and Technology (HUST), China. He was awarded the “University Prize for Top Ten Students in Scientific Research” from HUST, and also received the second prize from “China National Mathematical Modelling” in 2007.
Since 2008, Jie has been working towards his Ph.D degree and involved in various projects, including pedestrian detection, image retrieval and though-the-wall radar imaging. These projects involve the application of the novel signal processing paradigm of compressive sensing to develop efficient techniques for machine learning and cloud computing. Up to now, he has received 3 university or national awards related to his work.
At SMART, Dr. Yang is responsible for translating conceptual models into implementation programs and code prototyping (in particular, machine learning algorithms). Dr. Yang also assists with the migration of machine-based workflows to SMART’s new cloud computing facility.
Research Areas and Expertise
- Machine Learning (classification, clustering, Evolutionary Computation)
- Cloud Computing (Hadoop, Mahout, Pig, Hive, Hbase)
- Compressed Sensing (sparse representation, dictionary optimization)
- B.Sc. (Computer Science), 2005, China University of Geosciences, CUG, Wuhan, China
- M.Sc. (Pattern Recognition and Intelligence System), 2007, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, HUST, Wuhan, China
- Ph.D. (Spatial Modelling), 2013, University of Wollongong, UOW, Wollongong, Australia
- Winner Award for NASSCOM Innovation Student Awards, Australia (2012)
- Runner-up Award for Trailblazer Competition, UOW (2011)
- Top 5 Lab demonstrators, SECTE, UOW (2011)
- People’s choice Award for Three Minute Thesis Competition, UOW (2010)
- University Postgraduate Award, UOW (2008-2011)
- International Postgraduate Tuition Award, UOW (2008-2011)