Senior Professor Pascal Perez
|Phone||+61 2 4252 8238|
Senior Professor Pascal Perez is a world leader in participatory modelling of complex socio-technical systems.
He is currently Director of the SMART Infrastructure Facility at the University of Wollongong, overseeing research in infrastructure-related fields such as water and energy efficiency, future transport and mobility, smart cities and communities, or infrastructure system engineering and logistics. As Director he is responsible for SMART’s academic governance and for establishing strategic scientific partnerships in Australia and beyond.
Snr Prof Perez was the catalyst behind the regional Digital Living Lab, a ‘smart communities’ initiative, funded by the University of Wollongong, aiming to offer a public and free-to-air internet-of-Things (IoT) network across the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions in order to encourage the creation of problem-driven and community-oriented smart solutions with local start-ups, SMEs, Councils and associations.
Snr Prof Perez is a Fellow of the Royal Society of NSW and of the Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ). He is also a member of the national Scientific Committee of the Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN). In 2002, he received an ARC-International Linkage Fellowship to develop social modelling research at the Australian National University.
Snr Prof Perez has published over 150 refereed articles and book chapters. In 2006, he co-edited with his colleague David Batten the book ‘Complex Science for a Complex World’ (ANU E Press).
Research areas and expertise
- Participatory decision support tools for Government, Industry and Communities
- Agent based modelling technology
- Urban liveability
- Infrastructure planning
- Regional development
- Smart cities and infrastructure
- MSc (Environmental. Studies), 1986, University Montpellier 2, France
- PhD (Environmental. Studies), 1994, University Montpellier 2, France
- Project Leader, Upland Agricultural Innovation project, Indonesia (1996-2000, AFD)
- ARC-International Linkage Fellowship to work on groundwater management (2002-2003, ARC)
- Co-Chair, Modelling & Decision Support group, Coral Reef Targeted Research project (2005-2010, World Bank)
- Chief Investigator, Drug Policy Modelling Program (2005-2010, Colonial Bank Foundation)
HDR student supervision
- 2001 - Irianto Gatot, PhD, University of Rennes, France
- 2003 - Nicolas Becu, PhD, University of Montpellier 2, France
- 2005 - Nazmun Ratna, PhD, Australian National University, Australia
- 2007 - Katherine Daniell, Australian National University, Australia
- 2008 - Rachel Lorenzen, PhD, Australian National University, Australia
- 2010 - Magnus Moglia, PhD, Australian National University, Australia
- 2010 - Stefano Balbi, PhD, University of Venice, Italy
- 2011 - Natalie Jones, PhD, University of Queensland, Australia
- 2012 - Francois Lamy, PhD, Charles Sturt University, Australia
- Current - Shiva Pedram, PhD, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Current - Murad Safadi, PhD, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Member of the National Technical Committee of the Australian Urban Infrastructure Network (AURIN)
- Member of the Decision Support Division of Simulation Australia
- Member of the European Social Simulation Association (ESSA)
- Member of the Modelling & Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ)
- Member of the Australian Coastal Society (ACS)